The Society of Hispanic Historical and Ancestral Research assists those who are interested in learning about their genealogical and cultural background.
Although we focus on Hispanic Genealogy, we welcome everyone, regardless of race, color, political, or religious beliefs.
The Society of Hispanic Historical and Ancestral Research is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization and contributions are tax-deductible.
Our Story: Since 1986
The Society of Hispanic Historical and Ancestral Research, or SHHAR (pronounced “share”) is a non-profit organization, founded in 1986, with the goal of helping others research their hispanic genealogy and family history.
In 1986 a small group in Orange County, California, gathered to network and support each other in their quest for family history. Tony Campos, Raul Guerra, Mimi Lozano and Ophelia Marquez began Networking and held one-on-one support meetings at the Bolsa Family History Center in Westminster, California.
Formalized in 1987, it quickly expanded to a national networking status. Raul Guerra served as SHHAR’s first President.
Open, free lectures and workshops gained support from prominent historians and genealogists, such as Dr. Julian Nava, former Ambassador to Mexico and Professor Israel Cavazos Garza, Cronista (historian/archivist) for the State of Nuevo Leon, Mexico. Eventually, one of the quarterly meetings became an annual conference. Membership had expanded from local participants to networking across the nation.
Our Mission & Vision
Our Mission is to research hispanic genealogy and encourage others to conserve and document their personal history and share it with others.
Although our primary interest is in assisting the Hispanic community in search of their heritage, we extend this service to other individuals regardless of race, color, political, or religious beliefs.
In January 2000, SHHAR’S membership dues were eliminated. Today, SHHAR’s major emphasis is on networking through their monthly presentations and through this website.
The monthly presentations are OPEN AND FREE to the public. They are held on the 2nd Saturday of each month except August and December at the Orange Family History Center, 674 S. Yorba St. Orange, CA 92869. Topics for the presentations focus on assisting one another in the varied aspects of geneological research and on providing speakers knowledgable in Hispanic history.
Please refer to the Events for the monthly topics and presenters.
Volunteers are at the core of our mission.
We seek talented, committed, and patient volunteers and offer a variety of opportunities with a wide range of commitment levels. Whatever your background or level of expertise, we are looking forward to meeting you!
- SHHAR is an organization which holds meetings, participates in community events, and produces/sells publications to promote Spanish-heritage, Family Ancestry and Hispanic Genealogy.
- SOMOS PRIMOS is a free online magazine dedicated to increase awareness of world-wide Spanish history and heritage as a foundation for promoting family history research.
- Somos Primos started as a SHHAR Publication, and this is why SHHAR continues to sell the 1990 back issues of Somos Primos in digital format.
- Mimi Lozano, editor of SOMOS PRIMOS, no longer serves on the SHHAR Board. We are thankful for her many years of dedication. Nothing is sold on SOMOS PRIMOS. It serves to promote the good works, books, events, arts of others.
- The views expressed in Somos Primos are those of the authors and do not represent or reflect the views of SHHAR.